29th PACIBER Annual Meeting
Makati, Manila, Philippines
July 7-10, 2017
The PACIBER 2017 Annual Meeting, themed “Capitalists versus Capitalists", will be held at the Fairmont Makati, commencing with the opening reception on July 7 and concluding with the closing lunch on July 10.
Theme – Capitalist versus Capitalist
Globalization versus the aspirations of an emerging world economy
Hosted by PACIBER and Asian Institute of Management
Note: Below is the work-in-process program, subject to change (as of April 13, 2017)
FRIDAY, JULY 7, 2017
8:00 AM - Pre-program cultural activity -- Intramuros Tour. Organized and led by Dr. Rochelle McArthur. Details to follow
5:00 PM - Executive Committee Meeting (for members of the PACIBER Executive Committee)
6:00 PM - Opening Reception & Welcome.
- Welcome Remarks. Dr. Shirley Daniel, Professor of Accounting, Shidler College of Business, University of Hawaii, PACIBER Secretariat.
- Dr. Jikyeong Kang, President and Dean, Asian Institute of Management
- Short Announcements - Dr. Gerardo Ungson, YF Chang Endowed Chair & Professor, College of Business, San Francisco State University
- Dr. Manuel Serapio, Associate Professor and Faculty Director, Center for International Business Education & Research, University of Colorado Denver
- Dr. Rochelle MacArthur, Managing Director (retired), Center for International Business Education & Research, University of Hawaii at Manoa
SATURDAY, JULY 8, 2017
7:00 AM - Breakfast – on your own
8:20 AM - Meet in hotel lobby for transfer to Asian Institute of Management (AIM)
8:45 AM - Conference Registration
9:00 AM - Overview PACIBER & Program, Dr. Shirley Daniel, University of Hawaii
Welcome to AIM and Introduction of Keynote Speaker, Dr. Jikyeong Kang, Asian Institute of Management
9:15 AM - Keynote Session, Mr. Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala, Chairman, Ayala Group (invited)
10:45 AM - Break
11:00 AM - Panel Discussion: Conference Theme – Capitalist vs. Capitalist
- Overview: Re-Imagining Capitalism, Dr. Marcia Annisette, Associate Dean and Associate Professor of Accounting, Schulich School of Business, York University
- Dr. Federico Macaranas, Professor and Executive Director, Asian Institute of Management (AIM) Policy Center, AIM
- Mr. David Kwee, President, Training Vision, Singapore
- Business Executive (TBD)
12:30 PM - Lunch
2:00 PM - Deans Panel: Global Context of Business Education - New Opportunities and Challenges (Title TBD)
- Dr. Jorge Talavera, Past President and Dean (invited), ESAN
- Dr. Jikyeong Kang, Asian Institute of Management
- Dr. Norman Maud Saleh, Dean and Professor of Accountancy, Faculty of Economics and Management, Universiti Kebangsan Malaysia
- Dr. Mario Reyes, Clinical Professor of Finance, Carson College of Business, Washington State University, and Dean Emeritus and Professor of Finance, College of Business and Economics, University of Idaho
- Dr. Chan Jane Lin, Professor of Accounting and Associate Dean, International Affairs, National Taiwan University
- Other deans and administrators from PACIBER schools (TBD)
3:30 PM - Break
3:45 PM - PACIBER Collaborative Research
- Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT), Dr. Gerardo Ungson, San Francisco State University
- Dr. Herminio (Sonny) Coloma, Former Secretary, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCCO) Philippines, and Professor, Asian Institute of Management
- Corazon (Dinky) Soliman, Former Executive Secretary, Department of Social Welfare (invited)
PACIBER Research Team
- Dr. David Hudgens, Associate Director, IMBA and Clinical Faculty, Darla Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina
- Dr. Maria Alejandra Gonzales Perez, Professor and Head International Business, Universidad EAFIT, Colombia (TBD)
- Dr. Armando Borda, Professor and Director of International MBA, ESAN, Peru
- Dr. Yim Yu Wong, Associate Dean and Professor, San Francisco State University
- Dr. Sara Wong, Assistant Professor, Graduate Management School, ESPOL, Ecuador (TBD)
5:15 PM - Reception and Networking. Hosted by Asian Institute of Management (Details to follow)
7:00 PM - Dinner and Visit to BPO. Organized by Dr. Manuel Serapio. Location and details to follow
SUNDAY, JULY 9, 2017
AM - Breakfast – on your own
8:40 AM -Meet in hotel lobby for transfer to AIM
9:00 AM - Keynote Session. Mag Doris Magsaysay Ho, President, Lorenzo Shipping; President and Chairman, Magsaysay, Inc.
10:15 AM - Break
10:30 AM - Panel: Cultural Inclusiveness and Globalization.
- Dr. Kirpal Singh, Director, Wee Kim Wee Center – Panel Chair, Associate Professor of English Literature, Singapore Management University
- Dr. Christina Stringer, Associate Professor of Management and International Business, University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Bart W. Edes, Head (invited), Knowledge Sharing and Services Center, Asian Development Bank (c/o Dr. Paolo Francisco & President and AIM Dean Jikyeong Kang)
12:00 PM - Lunch and Presentation. Speaker from Asian Development Bank (ADB): Zeno Ronald Abenoja, Director, Dept. of Economic Research, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (invited by J. Francisco and J Kang)
1:30 PM - Panel: Borders and Business. Dr. Shirley Daniel, University of Hawaii – Panel Chair.
3:00 PM - Invited Commentary.
- Introduction, Dr. Rodolfo Ang, Ateneo de Manila University.
- Competitiveness, Federalism and Family Dynasties, Dr. Ronald Mendoza, Economist and Dean, Ateneo School of Government
- ASEAN Champions, Dr. Jamil Paolo Francisco, Professor of Business and International Economics, and Director, Rizalino S. Navarro Policy Center for Competitiveness, Asian Institute of Management
3:45 PM - Regional Updates. Asia-Pacific Region in 2017: Seeking Calm Waters in Turbulent Seas
Dr. Manuel Serapio, University of Colorado Denver – Panel Chair
- Southeast Asia
- East Asia
4:15 PM - Member Updates. Dr. Shirley Daniel, University of Hawaii – Chair
5:00 PM - Program Concludes. Return to Fairmont Makati
6:00 PM - Closing Gala Dinner. Details to be provided by Drs. Rochelle McArthur and Gerardo Ungson
MONDAY, JULY 10, 2017
AM - Breakfast – on your own
8:00 AM - Business Meeting. Dr. Shirley Daniel, University of Hawaii – Chair
Dr. Marcia Annisette, York University - Co-Chair
New Opportunities for Collaboration
- Consortium Based Teaching Platform, Dr. Yim Yu, San Francisco State University
- Consortium Based Proposal “Transforming Sustainability”, Dr. Sarah Wong, ESPOL (TBD)
- Dr. Gerardo Ungson, San Francisco State University
9:30 AM - Break
9:45 AM - Action Plan 2017-2018.
- Financial Reports
- 2018 Meeting
10:00 AM - New Member Presentation
12:00 PM - Lunch
Conclusion of 2017 PACIBER Annual Meeting
POST-PROGRAM TRIP (OPTIONAL)
12:30 PM - Depart Fairmont Makati. Visit to Tagaytay. Details to follow
Hotel Information: Fairmont Makati is a five-star luxury hotel located in the heart of the business and shopping district of Makati, Manila. The PACIBER rate for a run-of-house room is PHP8582 nett (≈USD173 nett), inclusive of one breakfast buffet, with PHP1226 nett (≈USD25 nett) per additional person. Upgraded Deluxe rooms are available at PHP10,421 nett (≈USD210 nett) and Fairmont Gold rooms at PHP14,099 nett (≈USD284 nett), with PHP1226 nett (≈USD25 nett) per additional person. Please use the below link for hotel registration.
Registration: Meeting registration will remain at USD350.
Flight Information: You would fly into the Manila (MNL) Ninoy Acquino International Airport, which is serviced by many major international carriers.
Ground Information: The Fairmont Makati is situated 12 kilometers from Manila International Airport, a 20-30 minute drive. The official white "coupon" taxi is PHP800 (≈USD16) or the hotel's taxi at PHP1000 (≈USD20) are recommended.
Welcome to PACIBER
The Pacific Asian Consortium for International Business Education and Research (PACIBER) was created in 1988 as a consortium of 27 leading universities dedicated to bridging the gap by establishing linkages to promote international business education, research and exchange of information among faculty and students. PACIBER stands as a forum for the exchange of ideas where members can network and learn from one another. Through faculty exchanges and other mutually beneficial alliances, member universities can raise the level of their business education programs to world class standards.