Welcome to PACIBER
The Pacific Asian Consortium for International Business Education and Research (PACIBER) was created in 1988 as a consortium of 27 leading universities dedicated to bridging the gap by establishing linkages to promote international business education, research and exchange of information among faculty and students. PACIBER stands as a forum for the exchange of ideas where members can network and learn from one another. Through faculty exchanges and other mutually beneficial alliances, member universities can raise the level of their business education programs to world class standards.
30th PACIBER Annual Meeting
Opportunities and challenges of doing business in Asia: Focus on ASEAN and Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
July 6-10, 2018
Friday July 6: Executive committee meeting at 4 p.m., member welcome reception at 5 p.m.
Saturday July 7, PACIBER member meetings
Sunday July 8: Shidler Vietnam EMBA graduation and banquet 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and optional cultural site visits in the afternoon
Monday July 9: PACIBER member meetings 8 to 5 p.m.
Tuesday July 10: Optional business site visits to firms operating/manufacturing in HCMC
Conference Theme: “Opportunities and challenges of doing business in Asia”
The conference theme will focus on the political, economic, social and institutional developments that are shaping new forms of competition and collaboration in Asia, particularly in ASEAN and Vietnam. This year’s program fosters deeper engagement including:
- Featured Presentations by prominent business leaders. The PACIBER Executive Committee will invite top business leaders from the Vietnam, Asia and the U.S. to address the group on how the emerging world order is likely to impact their business.
- Thematic regional updates. In ensuing calls for regional updates, PACIBER participants will address salient issues affecting their respective regions. Some examples include: economic stagnation in developed countries, the rise and fall of emerging markets, the future of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), the viability of ASEAN Economic Community, and US and China strategy in Asia.
- Consortia-based research and teaching. The untapped resource of PACIBER is the potential of innovative research and teaching projects using collaborative multi-country platforms. The meeting will discuss ongoing projects and opportunities for new collaboration, such as a multi-country analysis of poverty programs and the development of multimedia instruction.
- Conference attendees will participate in the ceremony and banquet on July 8 celebrating the graduation of the Shidler Vietnam Executive MBA class of 2018. Graduates include executives from many of Vietnam’s most dynamic firms, and the graduation always features a CEO from a major Vietnamese corporation.
- Visit to a business operations in Ho Chi Minh City. Vietnam has emerged as a top manufacturing location for firms from the US, Japan, and other parts of Asia. Participants will visit companies and discuss the pros and cons of doing business in Vietnam.
- Local delights… post conference tours. Ho Chi Minh City is a thriving international city. PACIBER participants will have opportunities to visit the locations in and near Ho Chi Minh City.
The meeting will be led and locally organized by the Shidler College of Business which has offered graduate programs in the Vietnam for almost 20 years. We invite participation of PACIBER member schools, US CIBER schools, and universities from throughout Asia to attend.
Hotel Information: Hotel Majestic Saigon is a five-star colonial hotel located in the heart of restaurant and shopping district of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The PACIBER rate for a run-of-house room (35m2 - back view) is USD120 nett, inclusive of breakfast buffet, and USD10 for the second person. Upgraded rooms are available -35m2 city/pool view room is USD130nett, 42m2 river view USD155 nett, and 60m2 suite USD189; inclusive of breakfast buffet, and USD10 for the second person. Reservations will be made via the hotel reservation form to the sales manager firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration: Meeting registration will remain at USD350.
Flight Information: You would fly into the Tân Sơn Nhất International Airport (SGN), located in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. It serviced by many major international carriers.
Ground Information: TheHotel Majestic Saigon is situated 8 kilometers from Tân Sơn Nhất International Airport, a 20-30 minute drive. Go straight to the official airport taxi counter (left side after exiting the building) or the greeter holding the Hotel Majestic Saigon sign with your name on it (advance reservations required for the hotel service, starting at USD50 nett for a 4 seat car). Taxis are available at the official taxi stand, walk toward your left after exiting the building. Mai Linh (green with white lettering) and Vinasun (white with green and red stripes) are the official airport taxi providers, and the most reliable to catch when in the city. The cost is metered, approximately VND180,000 (USD9) to VND200,000 (USD10). Do not accept offers from solicitors, no matter how official they look.
Visa Information: Visit the Vietnam National Web Portal on Immigration for a list of visa entry requirements per country. Vietnam recently implemented an online visa system, valid for citizens of 46 countries. You will need a jpg passport photo and jpg of your passport information page. The cost is USD25. Else, you will need a letter of authorization (LOA) for visa on arrival (VOA), available to many online providers such as My Vietnam Visa, or obtain a visa in advance through the Vietnam embassy/consulate in your country.